I can usually tell when I am going to crawl into my depression hole. My mood changes, everything annoys me, I’m irritable and angry, I don’t want to leave my home, I’m sad and lonely, and of course, my mind just races with intrusive self-defeating thoughts. I fight these symptoms for a day or 2 and then they eventually consume me.
When this happens I usually don’t eat because I just don’t care and don’t have the energy to make anything and deal with the mess.
Or, I binge eat on junk food because it’s easy, pre-packaged and requires no preparation or clean up. Salty, sugary, fatty foods are comforting.
When I am in that hole, 2 other things tend to happen, I either let my household chores go and end up with a very dirty and messy house.
Or, I overcompensate and stress clean because it seems to be the only thing I can control.
So, I want meals that are easy to make and require very little clean-up.
15 Easy Meals When You Just Can’t:
- Toast or a bagel
- Eggs – they take about 3 minutes and are good for you.
- Omelette – get some veggies in there too
- Cheese and crackers
- Fruit (bananas, apples, berries, oranges, etc.)
- Veggies (broccoli, carrots, cucumbers, snap peas, etc.)
- Nuts (almonds, cashews, trail mix, etc.)
- Smoothies – smoothies can be premade on good days. Put some fruit and veggies and some frozen concentrate orange juice into a Ziploc baggie and freeze. Throw into a blender and add some water.
- Instant oatmeal
- Peanut butter and banana sandwich or any sandwich you enjoy
- Lazy nachos – tortilla chips with some shredded cheese nuked in the microwave
- Beans and toast
- Bagged salads – premade salads with all the fixings
5 Tips for Better Days:
Tip 1: Crockpot meals – Meals made in a crockpot are usually very easy – prep. and forget. They also make a substantial amount so you can freeze a few portions for days when you are struggling. Some of my favourites are:
- Taco Chicken Chili – 2 cans of beans, 2 chicken breasts, taco seasoning, chili seasoning, half a jar of salsa. Cook on high for 6 hours (low for 10) Shred chicken 30 minutes before cooking is finished.
- Beef Stew – 1lb stew meat, 3 carrots, 1 onion, 3 potatoes, 4 celery sticks, beef stew packaged mix, water. Cook on high for 4 hours (low for 8).
- BBQ Pork Sandwiches – 1 boneless pork shoulder, 3 onions, 1/2 cup bbq sauce. Cook on high 4 hours (low 8 hours). Serve on buns with cheese.
Tip 2: Freezer Meals -When you are having a good day, make some freezer meals. Some easy options are soups, casseroles, potpies, and lasagnas.
Tip 3: Use a grocery delivery system – Most stores are offering ‘click and pick’ options or will even deliver to your home. They will also store your previous orders, so if you can’t manage to make a grocery list, order all your previous groceries.
Tip 4: Order take-out – no shame in it – order a little extra to get you through a day or two.
Tip 5: Stay hydrated. If all else fails, drink some water.
Hopefully, you can climb out of the hole soon 💖